Enrollment Information

All Children Welcome
Welcome to the South Bend Community School Corporation!

Students in SBCSC are assigned a school based on their residence. To see what school your child would attend based on your street address please click here. For transfer options or magnet information, please call 574-393-6047. 

Questions may also be e-mailed to asksbcsc@sbcsc.k12.in.us

Student Registration and Enrollment Information

How are students assigned to schools?

Students are assigned to schools based on their residence. There are 18 primary centers (grades preK-4) including six magnet schools – Kennedy Primary Academy, Perley Fine Arts Academy, Marquette Primary Montessori Academy, Hamilton Traditional School, Coquillard Traditional School, and Tarkington Traditional School. There are seven intermediate centers for grades 5-8 and three magnet schools, Dickinson Intermediate Fine Arts Academy, Jefferson Intermediate Traditional School, and LaSalle Intermediate Academy. Students throughout the Corporation may apply for admission to the magnet schools. Students are admitted based on eligibility and within the limits of controlled capacity and racial basis.

South Bend has five high schools – Adams, Clay, Riley, Washington, and Rise Up Academy. Students entering ninth grade may choose to attend their assigned high school based on their home address; apply to the high school of their choice under Open Enrollment; or apply to one of the high school magnet programs (Adams High School: International Baccalaureate/Global Studies, Clay High School: Visual & Performing Arts, Riley High School: Technology & Engineering or Riley Sustainable Energy, or Washington High School: Medical/Allied Sciences).

Sometimes a student may be placed at a school other than the assigned school to receive special education, language services, or to accommodate any special circumstances. 

How old does my child need to be to register for school?

In Indiana, children must be five (5) years of age on or before August 1st to be eligible for kindergarten.

What to bring when you register:

The following documents are required for registration:

  •  Birth Certificate
  •  Immunization Record (Shots)
  • (2) Proofs of Address: ex. mortgage or lease agreement, recent utility bill, bank statement, payroll documents or recent tax statements
  • Guardianship/Custody Documents (if applicable)

Do you need help locating documents?

Birth certificates for children born in the St. Joseph County area may be secured from the County-City Bldg, 227 W. Jefferson Blvd., South Bend, IN 46601.

Your child’s doctor, clinic or previous school may have copies of Immunization Records. Students will need to retake shots if immunization records cannot be located. Some clinics offer free shots. The St. Joseph County Health Department also provides low cost/free shots to children who are uninsured. There are two locations: 227 W. Jefferson Blvd- 9th Floor, South Bend, IN 46601, and 219 Lincoln Way West, Mishawaka, IN 46544. 

Several forms of address verification are accepted. Some examples include mortgage or lease agreements, recent utility bills, payroll documents or recent tax statements. If living with another family member, that family member will have to write a letter including all of your family members that will be living in the house. Take that letter to have it notarized (no charge at the bank) and bring that letter with a proof of the family members address into the school.

Copies of any documents pertaining to guardianship must be presented at the time of registration. Court documents may include divorce decrees, custody/guardianship papers, Orders of Protection, Juvenile Court orders, or Probate Court orders.

Please call the Office of Education and Innovation, school supervisors, if you have any questions about documents required for registration at (574) 393-6047.

Special Circumstances:

Contact the Special Education Office if your child has been identified for special education services or if you suspect that your child has a disability, (574) 393-6119.

Contact the nurse at your child's school if he/she has any health-related or medical needs.

Contact the Bilingual Department if your child speaks a language other than English or lives in a household where another language is spoken, (574) 393-6007.

I moved. How do I change my address?

The parent/legal guardian should take proof of a new address to the current school. Acceptable documents include mortgage or lease agreements, recent utility bill, payroll documents or recent tax statements.

For additional information, contact your assigned school, or the Office of Education & Innovation Services at (574) 393-6039 or (574) 393-6047. E-mail questions may be directed to asksbcsc@sbcsc.k12.in.us