Public Records Request

To request public records, you must fill out an Access to Public Records Request form and submit the form to the Department of Communications. Oral requests for records must be converted to the written form. If you have prepared a written request on your own, it can be attached to the SBCSC form, and you should then complete the top portion of the SBCSC form.

Not every request for records can be granted. Some information is not disclosable under law. Also, a public record request means that something must exist. It does not cover future records. Nor is it a means to obtain answers to questions. South Bend Community School Corporation is not obligated to create a public record to answer your inquiry.

Steps in Acquiring a Public Record

1. Fill out the Access to Public Records Form

2. Submit the form to the Office of Communications, 215 South Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., South Bend, IN 46601, either in person, by mail or fax to: 574-283-8143.

3. After your request is submitted:

  • You will receive a letter from the Communications Department acknowledging your request.
  • The Communications Department will forward the request to the Legal Department to determine if the records requested are disclosable.
  • Not all requests can be granted, some information is not disclosable under law.
  • Document fees are due when he document is picked up at a rate of $.10 per page.